With each passing year, the accident rate in the US is increasing at a very high pace. In 2016, around 34000 car crash cases were reported, while in 2017, 40,327 people were killed in US motor vehicle collisions. And according to the statistics, most of these accidents take place at night time due to fatigue, lack of concentration, drunk driving and poor visibility. However, night driving is unavoidable due to many reasons. Some people do it because of professional reasons, while many people love to drive at night. But before heading out at night, you must follow certain precautions to minimize the risk of a car crash at night. This article will point out all the possible risks involved in night driving and will also highlight a few tips to avoid the chances of fatal car crash.
The risks of night driving
- Insufficient view: Low visibility is one of the prime reasons for night time accidents. People often face difficulty in recognizing hazards on the road like pedestrians, cyclists or other objects. This compromised view leads to disastrous situations as we miscalculate the distance between the car and the obstacle.
- Glare from other cars: Using high-beam lights is the most common mistake that people make while driving at night time. It puts the driver coming from the opposite direction in danger as he/she gets blindsided temporarily. These high-beam lights are designed for highways, where the number of vehicles is considerably less and you want to see far ahead on the road.
- Speeding and drunk driving: Every 50 minutes a drunk driving crash is reported in the US. Hence, we can say that drinking and driving at high speed is the perfect recipe for disaster. Safe driving requires the ability to concentrate, quick judgments, and appropriate reactions to different situations. However, drinking slows down our response time, and speeding in this condition increases the likelihood of accidents.
- Sleepiness and fatigue: Driving after a hectic day at work can be very exhausting. People often feel drowsiness and fatigue while driving at night and become unaware of the surrounding. Staying behind the wheels when sleepy not only puts you in danger but also the others on the road as well. As per the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, around 100.000 car crash cases occur on the highway due to drowsy driving. Thus, a relaxed and fresh mind is necessary before hitting the road.
- Road maintenance: The US's road is filled with numerous bumps, broken bridges and potholes. The road's infrastructure is getting worse day by day and driving on such roads especially at night puts the drivers and passengers at great risk of injury or even death in some cases. At night, due to low visibility, people often overlook a bump and end up damaging their car as well as themselves.
Ways to keep a safe drive
- Use driver assistant system for help: As the modern world progresses, new and innovative technologies are being introduced to make our everyday rides safe and secure. Such is the case with Lanmodo Night Vision System. Its unique vision technology helps us detect every pedestrian, cyclist, animal or any other obstacle on the road from 300m ahead, giving us enough time to take precautionary measures. Moreover, this system is designed to fit in nearly all the car types, offering security to every driver. With the help of this system, you can even see the road signs clearly as it shows full-color images in 1080P high resolution. Low price and easy installation process make it the perfect choice to improve your nighttime safety.
- Adjust your speed to the reach of your headlights: Maintaining a constant speed at night time is one of the wisest things to do. It is recommended that drivers should always adjust the speed of their car as per the reach of headlights. In this way, they will be able to identify what lies ahead and have considerable time to maneuver in case something suddenly appears on the way.
- Look at the sides of the object: Before making any move have a clear look on the road. Many times drivers often miss out on tiny details on the road which later results in harmful damages.
- Protect your eyes from glare: Windshield shades are a great way to protect your eyes from the danger of high-beam lighting. But in case the high-beam lights still make you blind-sided then you should slow down and let the offending car pass by.
- Keep your brain awake: Avoid continuous driving and stop the car at regular intervals. Drink water or coffee to keep yourself fresh and awake on the road. You can also listen to the radio and sing along for the sake of keeping your mind active.
With the help of these tips you can minimize the danger of unfortunate mishaps. You cannot completely avoid driving at night but you need to be extra-cautious and attentive on the road. A single mistake on your end could put you and others in great danger.